Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Saying goodbye to 2016

As December has hit, the holidays are alive and well here in the city. Though I do not believe we will get the picturesque snowfall during this holiday season here, this is still without a doubt my favorite time of the year. Back at Emory, this time of the year would be evident due to a large 15-foot menorah placed on campus by Hillel. I am still in search of a menorah here of similar stature to really make it feel like the holidays. And of course, with the holiday season comes the increased need for charity work and giving back to the community. I am currently on the hunt for new ways to give back to the community. While in Austin, my family would always find new ways to help families in need during this cherished time of the year, and I hope to do the same here.

I have continued my volunteering with KIPP Leadership Academy as well. Each class is sorted into houses, similar to the Harry Potter series. Though I believe no magic is taking place in those hallways, I still find my time there both enjoyable and meaningful. I feel extremely gratified and fulfilled in the time I have spent there. Through all the copies of books and worksheets, as well the hour and a half spent last week cleaning out their filthy fridge, I have never stopped hearing how thankful they are for my help.

In an attempt to find other ways to volunteer my time here in New Orleans, I have stumbled upon a free clinic called Luke’s House. While in Austin, I used to volunteer at the Volunteer Health Clinic as a Spanish translator for doctors who were volunteering their time there to help patients without health insurance. From what I have read, this clinic seems to be tailored to the indigent Latino population here in the city as well, so it is my hope that I can get started with them for the few weeks we have here before we depart for the holidays.


It is honestly hard to believe how fast time has flown by here. Just one more set of exams and the semester is finished!

Service Hours: 8
Additional December Hours: 5
Total Hours: 31

No comments:

Post a Comment